December 28, 2009

Recovering from Christmas

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm exhausted! Christmas can take a lot out of a parent, but it's well worth it.
Can you believe Hubby and I actually had to wake our girls up on Christmas morning? They stayed up late on Christmas Eve, and the next morning I rolled over, looked at the clock and discovered it was 7:30 a.m. Definitely time to see what Santa brought.
The Pillow Pets were a huge hit. Tortilla found them first... and found hers last, so it was slightly comical to watch her excitement and then disappointment as she discovered each of her sisters' Pillow Pets. She was overjoyed to finally find her purple unicorn. They've each been using their Pillow Pets at night.
After all the presents were opened we had our traditional cinnamon roll breakfast and then I set about trying to straighten the house.... or at least clean up all the wrapping paper and stray boxes.
Then it was time for round two when grandma and grandpa came to visit. I gave up trying to keep the house clean. After two days of stepping over toys, I finally made the girls sit on the couch until I could make things look presentable again.
It was definitely a magical Christmas. They finally understood all the fuss. It was so much fun watching their sheer delight as they discovered the treasures Santa left for them. It's also the first year they sat through the entire Christmas Eve service without fussing or fidgeting, which I think is pretty impressive.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to start shopping for next year!

6 comments:

maryanne said...

Sounds like a fun Christmas! Even Emma doesn't quite get the magic of Christmas yet at our house - maybe next year?

I know exactly what you mean about toys - I spent yesterday evening returning the house to it's normal state and am hoping it will stay that way now (with normal quantities of cleaning, of course)...

Stephanie Barr said...

Oh, excellent! The best kind of Christmas. Sounds perfect.

Quadmama said...

The house managed to stay pretty clean today so I'm hoping the Christmas tornado has passed.

Becky said...

Glad the girls liked their gifts!!!! And glad to hear you all had a nice Christmas. :)My house is yet to fully recover....I figure the big boys are back in school next week. :)

Quadmama said...

I've been reading your Facebook posts. Sounds like you're further along with the clean up than I am!

Becky said...

not really....I just needed a mental break/attitude adjustment yesterday! we are still in a mess!!! we still have Christmas decorations up and now piles of clean laundry to be put away. And lasagna to make for New Years Eve dinner with ingredients that are still at the store!!!! LOL! :)

Post a Comment