December 20, 2009

I Need a Bigger Bed

When Hubby and I bought our first house we were overwhelmed by the amount of space we had. The home included our "master suite" and two other bedrooms, plus a den downstairs. We turned one of the extra bedrooms into a "reading room" and the other into our guest room. We decided to upgrade our own bedroom furniture. I really wanted a King size bed. I grew up sleeping on a double bed and really like, want, need the extra space. I wanted to be able to sprawl out, roll around and sleep without running into Hubby or any cats. Hubby argued that a King size bed wasn't practical for the size of our bedroom. I relented and went with the Queen. I wish I had fought harder.
A King size bed absolutely takes up a lot of space. But it's space well worth it. Since we bought this bedroom set approximately six years ago, I have spent countless nights kicking Hubby's legs off my side of the bed and shoving cats toward Hubby. I often wake wondering how I managed not to fall out of bed given the fact that I'm practically clinging to the side of the bed.
Having four preschoolers makes me want a bigger bed even more. When everyone became 100% potty-trained, the gate over their bedroom door had to come down. Now it's at the top of the steps, meaning the entire upstairs is fair game.
It's actually pretty fun to have my daughters come in my bedroom to "check on me." I pretend I'm still sleeping while they climb into the bed and crawl under the covers. Then I'll open my eyes and feign surprise that four little girls are in my bed. On these mornings we'll stay in bed for awhile just being silly and giggling. Still, we could use more space because those mornings often end with arguments over who is going to sleep next to mommy and whose turn it is to lay on one of the pillows.
Hubby's work schedule has changed again and he's now home in the mornings. I know the girls are excited to "check on" both mommy and daddy in the morning. We may have to be like Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie and have a huge bed custom-made for us!

6 comments:

maryanne said...

I made the same mistake...

Quadmama said...

Apparently all parents should just cave and get the King.

Stephanie said...

I want one of those big custom made beds... Badly!

Quadmama said...

I wanted one before having kids... now I feel like I "need" one LOL

reanbean said...

We don't have the space for a king, but I'm with you on wishing I had more space in the bed. We have a queen, and even though both my husband and I are small people, there just doesn't seem to be enough room. And I'm always the one squished up on my side while he's all sprawled out on the other. It's so not fair!

Kim said...

My husband bought a king-size bed against my wishes. This happened before we had kids and I thought it would be too big—now I absolutely love it, and whenever we have to sleep in a smaller bed at hotels or whatever, I feel CRAMPED! That bed was one of the best purchases he ever made!

Post a Comment