September 29, 2010

We Survived Another Year of Flu Shots

I try to have our flu vaccines near the beginning of October. I was stunned to see some pharmacies offering it in early to mid-August, but I still waited.
Yesterday, much to my girls' disappointment, we went for our shots. (Hubby received a free vaccine at work. Lucky!) When I picked the girls up from preschool I was informed by their teacher that they were nervous about their shots. Apparently that's all they talked about all morning. I had told them in the morning in hopes of letting in sink in.
Needless to say, there was lots of crying during the actual process. Sue Sue, ever the actress, went last and was "crying" loudly. When I pointed out that she didn't even have tears, she started laughing and was pretty much still laughing during her injection. She tried to squeeze some crocodile tears, but was too interested in the prospect of receiving a sticker to pull it off convincingly. As we left, she told the entire waiting room "I really liked my shot." Now as long as we stay healthy the tears (and the ice cream treat afterward) will have been worth it.

8 comments:

Sadia said...

This was the first time my girls were eligible for nasal vaccine. They actually asked on the way in whether there were shots in store, and I sidestepped the question.

It was only after they got the FluMist that I told them they'd had shots.

Quadmama said...

I did the mist for my H1N1 last year. I couldn't STAND not being able to blow my nose for a half hour. I'm sure I didn't actually have to blow it, but being told not to made it torture. So I wasn't sure how my girls would handle that.

MaryAnne said...

We have an appointment for shots in October. I'm hoping we won't have a repeat of Emma's near-fainting episode at last year's flu shot...

Unknown said...

I get allergy injections every week (so that someday I might be able to visit those 4 girls and their THREE cats!!) thus I don't consider myself afraid of needles. However, the flu shot freaks me out a bit each year. It really leaves your arm SORE!

Unknown said...

Give them a kiss on their flu shots from me. I got mine today too.

Jacqueline Miller said...

I'm jealous! I'm really dreading ours - Mo is a terrible shot taker...

Suzy said...

Kind of off topic, but ... thank you for using "crocodile tears" appropriately! I know so many people who use the term to refer to large tears ... what??

Anyway, I have just been trying to find toddler flu shots in my area. No one has them. Same story as last year. So frustrating!

Renae said...

My guys had their half birthday well visit in mid-September and got their flu shots then. The crying was horrible, but didn't last long. One chocolate shake later and the shots had been forgotten.

Post a Comment