August 02, 2010

The View Down Under

When we began swim lessons, my girls were fairly confident in the water. They didn't mind getting in the pool or getting their faces wet. At our first session, the instructor recommended I buy goggles. It makes sense. When I was younger, and spent my summers in the pool, the chlorine always did a number on my eyes. I remember coming home from swim lessons one day and not being able to open my eyes for the rest of the day. My mom realized it was a reaction to the chlorine. She bought me goggles and I never had another issue.
It hadn't occurred to me to buy goggles for my girls because while they spent plenty of time in the water, they didn't spend much time under the water. That all changed the first time they went to the pool with goggles. I'm surprised they came up for air. I regretted not bringing anything for them to dive for.... but soon found a rock, which worked just as well as any dive stick. (The rule was and has always been: only Mommy or Daddy can throw the rock). Their confidence and their skill level has grown so much in the last few weeks. We're close to being able to spend the majority of our time in the big pool, as opposed to the "little" pool. Right now I can handle the big pool with them when I'm alone for about 10 minutes. That's enough time for them to sit on the steps leading into the pool, take turns swimming to me and do a little "space walking" (that's what they call walking under water). When they grow a few more inches and increase their skills we'll be ready to say bye-bye to the little pool for good!

5 comments:

Stephanie Barr said...

My kids love to dunk their faces. At first it scared me, but now I'm getting used to it.

Kim said...

That is so great that they wear the goggles! Mine won't keep them on. Grrr.

reanbean said...

This sounds like great fun! I remember diving for dimes, nickels, and pennies one summer at a friend's pool. We loved it! RIght now, I'm just happy that mine will stand and walk around in the kiddie pool, but I'm already looking forward to next summer when we'll probably start some swimming lessons and begin making our way towards the big pool. :o)

Marilynne said...

You are soooo right to teach them to swim. It's a good life skill.

MaryAnne said...

I am in awe of you taking all four girls into the big pool! I need to get swimming lessons for my kids, probably next summer for Emma.

Post a Comment