May 19, 2010

Why Octomom and I Will Never Be Friends

I'm extremely angry with "Octomom" Nadya Suleman right now. Not that she cares... she's apparently willing to give up her dignity for a paycheck. Have you heard about her campaign with Peta? Octomom is willing to put a sign in her yard that says this:
What in the world is this woman thinking? To me, she's selling out. She's telling people it's OK to refer to higher order multiples as "litters." It's offensive... at least to me.
I know Octomom is a controversial topic. As I've said before, I don't agree with the doctor who allowed her to transfer eight embryos, nor can I imagine myself with six children and trying to have one more, let alone eight. But I'm not going to go down that road in this blog again. What I will say is I feel this woman just slapped every mother of multiples in the face by agreeing to do this... all for $5,000 and a month's supply of veggie burgers.
Look, I am all for spaying and neutering your pets. All of my cats, much to their dismay, are neutered. I've volunteered in animal shelters and have seen first hand what happens to unwanted pets. But to compare a litter of animals to higher order multiples? My blood is boiling.
Just when I thought I would never write another blog about Octomom... here she is, making headlines again.

8 comments:

Christina said...

Yuck. That's all I have to say.

Stephanie Barr said...

Gotta say it's pretty nervy to ask to put the ad up, too.

Sadia said...

I have to admit finding that offensive too ... although I have to admit anthropomorphizing tigers the other day when I told Mel and Jess that tigers always have a twin.

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

I agree that this is disgusting. I'm sure she's desperate for money, and still more desperate for attention.

One of the things that pangs me is that publicity like this fuels some of the general public to have a negative perception of fertility treatments. I've been amazed at what perfect strangers have said in questioning how my twins were conceived. I can only imagine the comments with higher order multiples.

On another note, I think Sadia's comment contains the longest word I've ever seen on a blog. HA! :)

:corinne: said...

Wow I didn't hear about this. Ya I think I'm taking your side on this. Not liking that they're comparing her babies to litters and cats. Not diggin this at all.

MaryAnne said...

You know, this ad also makes me annoyed with PETA, and not for the first time. I'm all for the ethical treatment of animals, but this organization seems to thrive on controversial ads, even when they have the potential to hurt innocent third parties.

I have octomom in a category that's all her own, but I guess there are people out there who group her in with other mothers of multiples - just like my having and staying home with three children somewhat close in age sends me into the "uneducated ignoramus" category for more than one person I've met.

Quadmama said...

I agree, it's pretty nervy for PETA to even ask her to do this... but nothing PETA does surprises me. I don't mean that in a bad way, but I agree with MaryAnne that the organization seems to thrive on controversy. I was trying to imagine the reaction after the group approached her and she agreed to do it. They were probably stunned... right?
Octomom is definitely in her own category, but I think people try to use her as an argument as to why fertility treatments are "bad." This doesn't help. And, as I mentioned in post, it seems to be condoning this whole "litter" and "breeding" mentality.

Cheryl said...

Really dumb!!!

Post a Comment