May 27, 2010

Beezus and Ramona... The Book, Not the Movie


I'm not a huge fan of movies based on books. I am an avid reader and it seems the movies never live up to the book. The other day I saw a trailer for Beezus and Ramona. I'm torn. It looks cute... and if it reintroduces a new generation of readers to the Ramona books, I'm all for it.
Yesterday I went to Borders, because I had Borders Bucks (or whatever they're called) to use up by the end of the month. I bought a Sookie Stackhouse book for me and a Beezus and Ramona for my daughters. I wanted to buy a Ramona book and it just so happens Ramona is four in this book, so it seemed the perfect way to introduce my girls to her. As part of our nighttime routine, each of my daughters pick a book and we read them on the "book couch" before heading upstairs. We're going to change things a little. Now we're going to settle on the couch and read a chapter of Beezus and Ramona before bed. This, of course, means, that as soon as we finish the book I'm going to be expected to produce the next book in the series. I'm OK with that. I have been waiting to introduce my daughters to Ramona and I hope they like her as much as I do.
(I suppose I should put one of those disclaimers in here stating NO ONE paid me, compensated me or asked me to write this post. I just like the Ramona books. Period.)

7 comments:

MaryAnne said...

I like the Ramona books, too, and have been thinking of introducing Emma to them...

Quadmama said...

Borders had the entire set for $40, but I'm going to see if I can find it cheaper somewhere else. I can't believe I didn't save this books!!!

Marilynne said...

So many children have come to love books by reading the Ramona books and those like it. Your kiddies are getting a good start.

When I was tutoring a Vietnamese girl, I used to ask her questions about the story, particularly when someone had done something wrong. My whole point was (at the time) that she should get some of the moral lessons from the story. (I also told her that if she wouldn't want her mama to see her doing something, she shouldn't do it.)

Thanks for visiting.

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

I loved all those books growing up! And I certainly look forward to sharing them with my girls in a few years. I think I'll skip the movie, though. :)

Quadmama said...

The trailer to the movie didn't look all that fantastic, but I'm not a little girl, so who knows how it will go over. I'll stick to the books.

reanbean said...

It's a Walden Media film (http://www.walden.com/movies/) and from what I've seen, they tend to stick pretty close to the original storylines (How to Eat Fried Worms being a HUGE exception, though. That film was just terrible!) I went to a Walden Media professional development workshop back when I was teaching 4th grade. It was right around the time that Charlotte's Web was being marketed. The presenter said their goal is to make films out books for educational purposes. After my 4th graders read Hoot, we went and saw the movie together and I was very pleased with the discussions that came afterwards.

I was also a huge Beverly Cleary fan as a kid. My first grade teacher read Runaway Ralph to us, and after that, I wanted to read every Beverly Cleary book I could find. I enjoyed reading the Ramona books to my first graders and look forward to sharing them with my kids as well.

Denise said...

I remember how much my daughter LOVED the Ramona books and TV show when she was little. I hope the movie does the books justice.

Post a Comment