October 12, 2009

Living Like Pioneers

I recently read a post on BoufMom9's site about how her new house doesn't have a dishwasher. She captured some great shots of all her children (all 9 of them) pitching in to wash dishes. I commented on her blog something along the lines of "I can't imagine not having a dishwasher." I jinxed myself because I spent Sunday afternoon handwashing our dishes.
Oh, don't worry. My dishwasher is fine. It's the water heater that has crapped out. When I left for work at 6 a.m Saturday I had a nice, hot, steamy shower. When I returned that afternoon all I wanted was a hot soak because it was freezing all day (think snow and maybe 20 degrees). I cranked up the hot water and prepared for a scalding bath (my favorite... the bath is not hot enough unless my skin turns red). It wasn't that hot. So as I soaked I grumbled a little thinking either a) Hubby took a shower right before I came home or b) one of the cats managed to move the temperature gauge on the water heater (it has happened at least twice). A little later Hubby asked if I had hot water during my bath. Turns out he didn't have hot water when he tried to take a shower.
Sooooo... after numerous phone calls to my father-in-law that night, he and Hubby figured out the problem. My in-laws came over first thing Sunday morning and Hubby and his dad set out to quickly fix it. First, the moron at Home Depot gave them the exact opposite of what they asked for. Instead of a left-threading thermal cup he sold them a right threading thermal cup. (I know, I know. I sound so handy. I'm just repeating what Hubby told me). Then a trip to ACE Hardware resulted in our typical luck. The part we needed can only be purchased at a plumbing store... and those stores aren't open on Sundays.
So... I boiled hot water to wash our dishes. I boiled water so my daughters could have a warm bath. I washed my hair in ice cold water in the kitchen sink. I feel clean... but still a little cold. My father-in-law, bless his heart, is expected back here any minute with the proper parts to fix the water heater so we don't have to buy a new one. Did I just jinx myself again????
UPDATE: Oh, it's just my luck. My father-in-law spent the morning trying to track down the part we need. A friend of his who is a plumber made some calls and found out our water heater is currently part of a class action lawsuit. All the parts have been pulled off the shelves. Now we have to call the manufacturer and make them overnight the part to us. And so, our luck continues.

10 comments:

Kim said...

I really, really feel for you. We have a well, and last winter it just stopped. We had no water, cold or hot, for over a day until my husband and dad got the pump reset. I hope your water heater gets running again soon.

Quadmama said...

We had a well in our old house. When a bad storm went through and the power was off for 24+ hours we were also without water. I considered going to a hotel but the power (and water) returned before that was necessary. At least this time we have water... I just have to boil it if I want hot water. Here's hoping this is all resolved by tomorrow!

maryanne said...

No hot water is no fun! I hope you get your water heater fixed soon!

Quadmama said...

The manufacturer is indeed shipping the part we need overnight, so by the end of the day tomorrow all should be right in our house (except for the laundry piling up, of course).

Jacqueline Miller said...

Oh I feel your pain! We just went FOUR weeks without a washing machine. Just about every part needed to be replaced. You just don't realize how much you value things like that until they're gone. (And I'm happy to report that the washer is fixed now too - though "Buried in Laundry" is a great description for our house right now, too :)

Quadmama said...

What? No washing machine? I may sound like a spoiled brat but I don't think I could cope that long with the pile of clothes we accumulate in just one day!

Becky said...

Pink skin is THE only way to step out of the bath/shower. :)

Twincerely,Olga said...

that stinks! Stopping by from Mult and More! great blog

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh- how frustrating! Life without hot water- no fun. Believe it or not, I actually live without a dishwasher. Growing up, ours was always breaking (it couldn't cope with 5 kids), so we gave up on it. I got used to not having one, and just doing dishes as they accumulate. Of course, now my Mom has a huge one she uses all the time, and when I visit, I think loading it is a enormous chore. My brain is totally warped.

Quadmama said...

No dishwasher?! What is wrong with some of you multiple moms?? (just kidding!)

Post a Comment