July 16, 2009

A Possible Solution

I received an email about my recent thumb sucking post from someone who regularly reads my blog. She had a pretty interesting solution and since there were a lot of comments from parents of thumb suckers, I thought I had better share. (To protect the identity of the thumb sucker in question, I won't reveal his/her identity).
The mom who emailed me told me that when her child was about the same age as my girls the dentist gave her the same "give up the thumb" lecture. She decided to start putting socks on the child's hands at night. For the first few nights the child protested, but it quickly worked.
I'm going to give my girls a few more days before I resort to socks... but it's a solution I never thought of and one I'm willing to try. Now my only concern is this: at least one of my daughters likes to chew on her blankie. What happens if she decides she likes chewing on socks, too?

3 comments:

Stephanie Manner Wagner said...

Sounds like a solid idea, looking forward to hearing how it goes.

MaryAnne said...

Chewing blankies and (clean) socks wouldn't bother me, at least it's something I would expect a child to grow out of - just like most kids do seem to outgrow thumb sucking...

Quadmama said...

I don't know if they grow out of it very fast... my sister was a long-time blanket chewer.

Post a Comment