July 30, 2009

I Heart The Wiggles


If you're a regular reader of my blog, or a friend of mine on Facebook, you must be living under a rock if you didn't know we went to The Wiggles concert yesterday. I cannot begin to tell you how much fun it was. The Wiggles Go Bananas is definitely worth checking out for any Wiggles fan in your life.
We don't have cable TV, so to prep for the concert I played my girls a few You Tube videos of The Wiggles. Some of their staple songs (Fruit Salad, Hot Potato) aren't included on the DVD's we own, so I wanted to make sure my girls didn't feel left out.
I have to hand it to Sam, Anthony, Murray and Jeff. It takes a lot of stamina to be a Wiggle. Those guys danced pretty much nonstop for an hour and a half. Sure, there were certain numbers that only highlighted one Wiggle, giving the others a chance to change costumes, but if I had to dance around like that for two shows in one day I'm pretty sure I would collapse.
I also have to commend the Wiggles for how kid-friendly they are. Yes, they're a group that targets the preschool set, but I really felt they went above and beyond what you should expect. They let kids come up to the edge of the stage mid-number and hand them gifts (bananas, signs, even a cute homemade bone for Wags). They carried on conversations with these kids, asking their names, etc. and seemed generally touched by the gifts. When Sam and Murray walked through the crowd during one number they gave high fives and posed for pictures. Sam, my Wiggles crush, was only two rows away from us at one point and we were in the top section of seats. I think he even winked at me. Interestingly enough, Hubby had the camera and never thought to take a picture of Sam for me. (He says he's not jealous, but it all seems a tad suspicious.) I later tried to capture a good picture of Sam, but our camera didn't zoom that far. The picture in this post, though, is from the concert and not just randomly pulled off the internet. It doesn't do our seats justice. Despite being in one of the top sections, we had a great view.
My only complaint? Every section except the top section (where we sat) received a Wiggles keepsake (a coloring book? I couldn't tell). As an adult, it really didn't bother me, but it seems that at an event for children every seat should have received the handout. My girls didn't notice, so they didn't care, but I think if they had been a little older it could have been an issue. We weren't even in the cheapest seats. I'm just saying, if your event is for kids, then please help us parents avoid tantrums and meltdowns.
But in all seriousness, I now want to see The Wiggles again. My girls weren't really up for dancing... I think they were trying to take it all in. But they clapped and laughed and waved. It was truly a day to remember. The tickets were reasonably priced... until you add on all of Ticketmaster's ridiculous fees or the outrageous fee we paid for parking. But, all in all, it was a fantastic experience and I am so glad we saved up for it.

13 comments:

MaryAnne said...

Sounds like fun! I agree with you on giving the keepsake to all seats at a children's event.

Sadia said...

QuadMama, I've been considering taking my girls to the show coming up in Austin, but I wouldn't call them Wiggles fan. They know Fruit Salad, but that's about it. Would you recommend taking them? (You guys have the same adult to child ratio as us, so I figure if you could do it, so can I!)

Quadmama said...

Sadia: if you're daughters are into singing and dancing I think they'll enjoy it no matter how many songs they know. The show itself is a blast and it's pretty kid friendly with it's pacing. Several songs they sing are simply nursery rhymes and not necessarily "Wiggles" songs. You might want to find a few things on the internet (namely Hot Potato) just so you know the motions when they do it... it was the finale at our show. Have fun if you go.

Jungletwins said...

What fun! Looks like you had a blast. I really enjoyed hearing the recap :)

Quadmama said...

My girls are still talking about how much fun it was.. and asking if they can go see The Wiggles again tomorrow LOL

Jacqueline Miller said...

It cracks me up that you have a Wiggles crush!!

Quadmama said...

Doesn't every mom of Wiggles fans have a crush? Hey, it's the only thing that makes some of those DVDs bearable!

Stephanie Barr said...

I'm so glad you had fun. I've heard of the Wiggles, but know nothing about them.

Quadmama said...

Think Barney, but grown men who don't wear dinosaur costumes. Sort of.

Denise said...

I am so glad that all of you enjoyed the Wiggles! I play some of their music in my classroom for my students and they love it.

Quadmama said...

They truly are a great way to introduce kids to music and dancing.

Michele said...

I was so upset that this tour didn't head to NC. Our girls LOVE the Wiggles, and we went to see them last year. Anthony is my secret crush, and I totally agree with the sheer athleticism required of these guys to keep up with the pace of that show.

Quadmama said...

Anthony definitely puts on a good show!

Post a Comment