April 12, 2011

Because I Said So

Apparently age 5 is the age where everything you tell a child is met with "Why?" "It's time to clean this room." "Why?" "You can't play video games right now." "Why?" "It's time to go to bed." "Why?" I'll admit it, I'm guilty of responding with "Because I said so" or "Because I'm your mother" on more than one occasion. 
I've gotten to a point where I just can't keep explaining myself. One of my girls uses "why" as a delay tactic. If she doesn't want to clean, then she'll go into "why-mode." I used to explain to her in great depth why she needed to clean up. Rather than say "Because I said so," I've started responding with "Because if you make a mess, it's your job to clean it up." 
I really do try to provide my daughters an answer when they have a "legitimate" question. If their "why" has more to it than that, I try my best to have a good response. "Why are the clouds so big?" "Why do we sleep when it's dark out?" Those are "whys" I can handle, although sometimes I need the Internet to help me out. 
(Don't forget to check out my latest giveaway!)

2 comments:

MaryAnne said...

Lily is my "why" queen - and I definitely thought I would have a few more years of peace before she started up! I think she learned from Johnny, and since she is so young it's mainly a delay tactic. Emma does ask why also, but she is more likely to ask because she wants to know something than to delay something. And some of those why questions are really challenging!

Renae said...

My guys were into "why" very briefly around 2.5, but now they've moved on to "what's that mean?" I'm not sure which is worse. I also try, as best as I can, to provide honest answers to their millions of questions. But sometimes I just have to throw out an "I don't know" or and "I don't want to talk about that right now" when I just need to get them moving on to something else.

Post a Comment