September 16, 2009

Where Did My Babies Go?

Tomorrow is a big day in this family. My four daughters will turn four. How did that happen? When did they go from 1 1/2 pound babies fighting for their lives to these... these... people?
This birthday is a hard one for me. Basically I have to face facts: my babies aren't babies. They're beautiful little girls, who will grow into teenagers and adults. It's such a blessing to see how far they've come, but a little sad, too.
Just the other night, as I prepared for bed, I checked on my girls. All I could do was stand there and look around the room. It's amazing to be in their room in the middle of the night, watching them sleep and know they beat the odds to survive. It's also amazing to look around their room and realize we managed to fit four cribs/toddler beds in there. I'm still stressing about our plan to move them to twin beds in the spring. Something tells me we'll be saying "bye-bye" to the room we use as an office so we can split the girls into two rooms.
So much has happened in four years. They've learned to walk, talk and (finally!) use the toilet. I take none of these milestones for granted.
For now, my daughters still love to snuggle, still love to be held. I cherish these moments because it's only a matter of time before I become "uncool," before they start rolling their eyes at me or give exasperated sighs. So, bring on the birthday cake, but don't let my little girls grow up too fast. Happy birthday!!!!

9 comments:

MaryAnne said...

Happy Birthday to all four of your girls!

Stephanie Barr said...

Damn it, you made me cry. I don't want my baby to grow up either!

Happy birthday to your little sweethearts. May they never be so cool as to forget how much you love them.

Chubskulit Rose said...

Happy birthday to your princesses!

Nostalgic Marveling
Etcetera Etcetera
Spice up your LIFE!
Obstacles & Glories
Underway! Shift Color

Becky said...

what about double bunk beds???? would that allow them to stay together? I know how precious (uh, I dream of how precious it WOULD be!) to have office space. Happy Birthday to your girls!!!!!!!!

Quadmama said...

Thanks for all the birthday wishes.
Becky: I'm avoiding bunk beds due to some stories I've heard from other parents. We may go the trundle route, though.

Jacqueline Miller said...

When my son turned 4, I made him promise that he'd still hug and kiss me when he turns 17. It's so hard to watch them grow up!

Quadmama said...

I should make that deal with my girls, too.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to them all. Each age has its joys and its troubles. You'll remember them all as they grow up and move away.

Think, if you dare, of the four of them coming home with their families for Thanksgiving or Christmas and how wonderfully full the house will be.

Motherhood is just good. Trying at times, but good.

Quadmama said...

Marilynne, I've already thought about what is might be like when they're my "adult kids"... but I try not to think about it too much, yet.

Post a Comment