July 12, 2010

Bugs

Why is it that whenever a bug is in sight my girls scream like, well, girls?! It doesn't matter what kind of bug it is... they scream. You may be thinking about my fear of spiders and conclude that I instilled this terror in my daughters. Nope. In fact, I rarely react when I see a spider, just so I don't teach my girls to fear them.
I've tried getting them to hold lady bugs. They're all for it, until the bug touches their skin. Then they frantically try to shake off the bug. Flies? Forget it. If they see a fly they freeze. Gnats? Bound to cause squeals.
Keep this little tidbit in mind: about a month ago we went to our local butterfly pavilion. Three of my girls held a tarantula. Let me repeat: three of my girls held a TARANTULA. But a fly makes them scream in terror.

6 comments:

MaryAnne said...

Really? A Tarantula but no flies? Oh, to get inside the head of a young child...

Stephanie Barr said...

My husband's sister once had the same issue. She'd handle snakes and reptiles, no problem, but would freak at the sight (or sound of a June bug.

Once they were going through a new exhibit at the zoo that had, which her mother didn't know, large people-sized models of a number of bugs. Lee's sister climbed right up her mother, parked on her face and started screaming and didn't stop screaming until they got through the exhibit. They'd set it up so you couldn't go back, just forward.

When they managed to get out the other side, sister still screaming, a reporter asked them what they thought.

Quadmama said...

That is funny on so many levels!

Christina said...

At least its not butterflies!! Seriously, Alex is freakin scared of butterflies.

Quadmama said...

Our first trip to the butterfly pavilion was wonderful. The girls were about 1 1/2. Our second trip they were 2+ and scared out of their minds. We were finally brave enough to try again a few months ago (during the tarantula experience) and they were happy as clams.

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

Since our girls were four or five months old, 99.9% of the time they go to bed with no fussing. One night a few months ago (they were 12 or 13 months old, I think), we had a crazy episode. Shortly before bedtime, Baby B witnessed my husband killing a fly (he had to stand on a ladder and use a swatter). She cried when it happened, but then everything seemed OK. When I put her in bed, though, she got hysterical. NOTHING would calm her. I had to rock her for about two hours until she finally passed out from exhaustion. The only thing we could guess is that she was traumatized from seeing the fly episode. We joked that she may just be destined to be a future president of PETA. :)

Post a Comment