August 04, 2009

Bumps, Bruises and Traveling


I've always meant to put together a first aid kit for the car. It seems like whenever we're out and about, the odds are pretty good one of the girls will fall and hurt herself.
You think I would have learned my lesson about a month ago. I took the girls shopping for a friend's birthday gift. As we walked through the parking lot, Sue-Sue tripped and scraped her knee. Blood was everywhere and I had nothing to clean her up with. So I did what any resourceful mom would do and used her shirt to wipe off the blood. She seemed OK with that and we continued our shopping. We cleaned the owie when we came home. Then just days later we were out and Roo tripped. She had a small scrape, but it still drew blood and I had nothing to clean it with.
Now that has all changed. The other day I was at the grocery store looking for liquid band-aids and happened to see a first aid kit on clearance. It's perfect and has everything I'll need for future accidents, including antiseptic wipes, bandages and gauze.
It probably would have been cheaper to put together my own kit, but since I still hadn't done that and this was a good deal, I went ahead and bought it. I actually had a hard time finding a reliable website to offer suggestions for a kit. Here's what I finally found for you to include if you "build your own kit": bandages, gauze, medical tape, butterfly bandage strips and an elastic bandage, instant ice pack, alcohol wipes, tweezers, swabs, cotton balls, tissues, antibiotic ointment, insect sting relief pads, cortisone cream, an irrigation syringe, pain relievers and antihistamines. Phew. That about covers it, right?

Keep in mind I'm talking about medical emergencies while on the road. There are plenty of other supplies you'll need to deal with roadside/car related emergencies. For now, though, I have what I need to make sure the next time one of my girls hurts herself while we're out shopping, she won't have to walk around with blood dripping down her leg.

2 comments:

Stephanie Barr said...

I used to carry a tiny first aid kit (mostly bandaids) in my purse. I've made use of it more than once.

Quadmama said...

The one time I actually remembered to bring along band aids we needed them, which was another reason I decided to buy a first aid kit.

Post a Comment